A delicious low carb and gluten free version of the popular Middle Eastern dish. By using Cauliflower Rice instead of bulgur you can have the authentic flavour of Tabbouleh with only a fraction of the calories .
This year cauliflower recipes just went VIRAL on the Web, pushing last year’s hyped vegetable, Kale, off his throne in no time. But that’s ok. I have to say I actually like living in a world where vegetables can cause a hype! I have to confess that – even though I usually don’t really pay much attention to foodie fads – I kind of developed a mild obsession with cauliflower recipes. Above all with the genius invention that is low carb Cauliflower Rice ! It is actually more a faux carb than a low carb thing, as it clearly tricks the mind into thinking we are eating carbs here. It looks just like rice and can be substituted for it in all your favourite rice dishes – or any dish that would normally come with a side of calorie-dense starches.
Cauliflower Rice is grain-like, light and fluffy and reminds me a lot of couscous or bulgur. So why not try to create a Cauliflower Version of my favourite bulgur dish ?
This low carb and gluten free Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh is a low-cal version of the classic Middle Eastern bulgur and herb salad! I simply took my go-to tabbouleh salad recipe and swapped the grains for cauliflower “rice,” . Along with the usual suspects – garlic, parsley and mint- I also like to add some cumin, cinnamon and coriander to my dressing. This is totally optional!
You can either serve your Cauliflower Tabbouleh as a side dish for roasted or grilled meats or mix it with leafy greens for a healthy salad. Wanna make it a main? Simply add a poached egg or some grilled chicken!
Would my Cauliflower Tabbouleh win a side-by-side test with real Tabbouleh? Of course not! But hey, it comes close enough to be a serious alternative for days when you feel you need to keep it extra healthy.
I really hope you give this a try, guys! I am sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised !
Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh
- 1/2 medium head of cauliflower about 1 pound, coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves with stems packed
- 1 cup mint leaves packed
- 3 scallions white and pale-green parts only, sliced
- 2 to 3 garlic clove coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup optional
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper
- 1/2 medium cucumber about 8 1/2" long, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes quartered
- Grate the cauliflower in your food processor or the largest holes on a box grater until rice-like in texture. Transfer to a large, microwave-safe bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp. oil and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover with plastic wrap or a lid and microwave on high for about 3 minutes. Carefully remove the lid and spread cauliflower "rice" on a big plate or a rimmed baking sheet, and let cool.
- Wipe out your food processor. Add the parsley, mint, scallions, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, 3/4 tsp. salt, spices, honey and remaining 1/4 cup oil until herbs and pulse until the herbs are coarsely chopped. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl and stir in the freshly ground pepper flakes. Add cauliflower rice, cucumber, and tomatoes and gently toss to coat. Season with additional salt, if necessary.