These Starbucks Copycat Pumpkin Pie Buns are out of this world! Pillowy, buttery yeasted buns made from a pumpkin brioche filled with a Spiced Pumpkin Pie Filling and topped with a decadent Salted Caramel Glaze! Make these for Thanksgiving or Halloween!
Before you start scanning the internet for the best Pumpkin Pie recipe yet again, why not try a completely different pumpkin dessert this year? These Pumpkin Pie Buns with Salted Caramel Frosting make for the perfect easy Thanksgiving dessert, brunch or breakfast treat!
Why this Starbucks Copycat recipe for Pumpkin Pie Buns with Salted Caramel Frosting works:
These Pumpkin Pie Buns with Salted Caramel Glaze might be the best pumpkin dessert I´ve baked this fall! They are incredibly soft and buttery and the filling tastes just like Pumpkin Pie!
And as if that weren’t delicious enough already we cover our Pumpkin Buns with a generous amount of Salted Caramel & Cream Cheese Frosting and some roasted Pumpkin Seeds !
We start with these Pumpkin Pie Buns by making an enriched yeasted dough to which we add some Pumpkin Pie Spice, and some canned pumpkin puree for colour and extra moistness.
I have experimented with pumpkin in yeasted dough before in this Pumpkin Sandwich Bread Recipe and have loved the result! Don’t be scared, it won’t prevent the yeasted dough from rising!
How to make the Pumpkin Pie Filling?
The Pumpkin Pie Filling for these delicious fall-inspired breakfast buns is pretty straightforward and easy to make. We mix pumpkin puree, butter, condensed milk, brown sugar, an egg and spices and bring it to a boil!
This rich pumpkin pie filling tastes incredible and smells like simply everything we love about autumn.
How to make Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting:
A Pumpkin Pie Bun would only be half the fun without a glaze though, right?
And this glaze takes our Pumpkin Buns to a whole new level! It’s basically a cream cheese frosting to which we add some homemade salted caramel! Make sure your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature and prepare the caramel sauce in advance to make the prep time a bit quicker.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds on top – PERFECTION! If you like Pumpkin Pie you will simply LOVE these easy pumpkin buns! Try them this fall!
“I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites.”
★ Did you make and love this Starbucks Copycat recipe? Give it your review below and make sure to share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
Pumpkin Pie Buns with Salted Caramel Glaze
These Pumpkin Pie Buns are out of this world! Pillowy, buttery yeasted buns made from a pumpkin enriched dough filled with a Spiced Pumpkin Pie Filling and topped with a decadent Salted Caramel Glaze! Make these sweet buns for Thanksgiving or Halloween !
For the Pumpkin Yeasted Dough:
- 1 package dry yeast 7 g
- 1/4 cup very warm water about 100-105 degrees F.
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 50 g sugar 1/4 cup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 large egg
- 3 to 4 cups all purpose flour divided, as needed
For the Pumpkin Pie filling:
- 4 tablespoons/56g butter melted (plus more for pan)
- ¼ cup/50g light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar 50 g
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- big pinch of salt
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon flour
For the Salted Caramel Glaze
- 1 block cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 Tbs Butter at room temperature
- 1,5 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup salted caramel + more for deko
- pumpkin seeds for deko optional
To make the buns:
Mix water, sugar and yeast and let it stand for about 15 minutes until you have a foamy mixture going on. Add pumpkin puree, cream, salt, butter, sugar, vanilla and spices and whisk until combined. Now add half of the flour (1,5 cup) and the egg and knead with the hook attachment for about 2 minutes.
Now add more flour (max 1,5 cups) and keep on mixing. You have to add enough flour to the mixer so that dough just barely pulls away from sides, and a very soft, slightly sticky dough form. So maybe you have to add more to your dough (hence 3-4 cups in ingredients), but maybe you don´t even need to.
Knead the dough for at least 6-7 minutes until smooth, elastic and only slightly sticky. Now shape it into a ball, give it a little oil massage and let it rest in a covered bowl for about 1,5 h.
- Once the dough has doubled in size you knock it back and roll it out on a floured surface into a 20x12 rectangle which you spread with the pumpkin filling (see below).
- Roll the dough up nice and tight and cut the roll into 16 equal pieces.
Place the buns in a buttered dish, cover it with foil and let the pumpkin pie buns rest again for about 45 min until the double in size.
- Bake them in a 230 oven for about 30 minutes and let cool slightly before you frost them.
To prepare the Pumpkin Pie Filling
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together all the ingredients and turn the heat to med-high heat and whisk until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Turn the heat all the way down and continue mixing until it thickens to a spreadable consistency. Remove from the heat and allow the filling to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy, then slowly add in the powdered sugar until you have a smooth, thick frosting. Now slowly add the salted caramel until you think your frosting has the perfect texture.
- Spread the frosting onto your cooled Pumpkin Pie Buns, drizzle some more caramel on top and sprinkle the Pumpkin Pie Buns with some roasted pumpkin seeds.